Communicate Like a CTO
Grow your influence and be better understood (€299 + VAT)
"This course does an amazing job at providing clear and actionable tips to improve communication across multiple channels while also drawing on illustrations from Pat's expansive career in engineering leadership. I learned how to improve my communication skills while also keeping in mind higher principles like empathy and understanding."
- Anjuan Simmons, Engineering Coach, Help Scout
Why communicate like a CTO?
You'll find many articles, studies and papers that tell you communication skills are critical to a technical leader's success, yet you'll never see this subject included in any technical course. Many technical leaders rely on learning through trial and error — an expensive and time-consuming process, especially for CTOs.
Learn practical tips and tricks and real-world, relevant examples for your instructor, an experienced technical leader and former CTO. Add more approaches to your communication toolkit and grow your influence and impact today.
Prevent others from seeing you as the "techie" person. Become a respected and influential technical leader, well-known for how you communicate. This course will show you how.
Who will benefit from this course?
This course is designed for any technical person looking to communicate effectively with people from any background. You will benefit from this course if you:
- Lead or manage people - Perhaps you're an Engineering Manager, Director, VP Engineering
- Lead or manage technical topics - Maybe you're a Tech Lead, Architect, Technical Programme Manager or CTO
- Want to be a more influential Individual Contributor (IC) - Maybe you're a Data Scientist, Software Engineer, or other IC
This course will show you many tools a successful CTO uses to influence, direct and distribute information clearly and succinctly.
What's in this course?
This course consists of many videos and several short quizzes. The course is self-paced, meaning you can jump to the most relevant content and start using the content without having to wait.
What you'll learn?
- Explain the underlying mechanisms of successful communication (and where it often goes wrong!)
- A framework for composing and communicating your message with the most impact and clarity
- How to communicate with both technical and especially non-technical people
- Approaches to confirm others understand your point of view
- How to choose between written or verbal styles of communication
- How to compose clear and effective emails, simple status reports and terrific technical reports
- Build and deliver powerful presentations
- How to prepare and present to executives
Increase your impact by learning how to communicate like a CTO.
Patrick Kua is a seasoned technology leader with almost 20 years of experience. His personal passion is accelerating the growth and success of tech organisations and technical leaders. He has had many years of hands-on experience, leading, managing and improving complex organisations and software systems as the CTO and Chief Scientist of N26 (Berlin, Germany) and as a Technical Principal Consultant at ThoughtWorks. He is a frequent keynote and conference speaker, author of three books including The Retrospective Handbook, Talking with Tech Leads and Building Evolutionary Architectures and runs the popular newsletter for leaders in tech, “Level Up” (http://levelup.patkua.com). You can find him online on twitter as @patkua or running his very popular “Tech Lead Skills for Developers” workshop around the world.
Start2.1 How Communication Works (6:53)
Start2.2 The Core Communication Method (10:18)
Start2.3 Communicate With Empathy (10:20)
Start2.4 Crossing Borders (13:08)
Start2.5 Adopt Analogies (6:20)
Start2.6 Learning to Listen (11:48)
Start2.7 Quick Review: The Essence of Communication
Start2.8 Answers to the Quick Review